HnExpress Mayank Chakravarty, Kolkata : Prophet row, Developments in West Bengal so far, 7 points you should know. 1) Fresh violence was reported in West Bengal’s Howrah district, parts of Murshidabad district and South 24 Parganas on Saturday. At least 60 people were arrested and booked on charges of rioting, attempt to murder and damage to public properties, police said.
2) Violent mob clashed with police and pelted stones at them in Panchla Bazar area of Howrah, in which several jawans were injured. The mob torched several houses and vandalized the BJP office. Police fired tear gas shells to disperse the protesters.
3) Internet access was also banned in some parts of Murshidabad to prevent the spread of misinformation.
4) The West Bengal Commission for Protection of Child Rights has issued a show cause notice to Maulvi Sanaullah Siddiqui of Furfura Sharif family for the participation of children in his protest rally in Domjur, Howrah. It also directed the police to take appropriate action against those using minors for demonstrations.
5) Bengal BJP President Sukanta Majumdar arrested on his way to Howrah, released late in the evening; BJP MLA Agnimitra Paul said – Army should be installed here. Sukanta Majumdar was arrested on the Second Hooghly Bridge. At the same time, BJP MLA Agnimitra Paul in West Bengal said that what is the CM doing here? The law and order situation in the state has worsened. He was arrested when he was on his way to the protest site in Howrah. He was released late in the evening.
Significantly, due to the controversy arising after Nupur Sharma’s controversial statement on Prophet Mohammad, Section 144 has been imposed in various areas here. At the same time, there has been a political ruckus between the BJP and Chief Minister Mamta regarding this issue. On one hand, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee called it a crime of the BJP. On the other hand, BJP MLA Agnimitra Paul called the law and order situation in the state a flop.
6) BJP MLA raised the question Sukanta Majumdar was arrested at Second Hooghly Bridge. At the same time, BJP MLA Agnimitra Paul in West Bengal said that what is the Chief Minister doing here? The law and order situation in the state has worsened. He raised the question that why was Sukanta Majumdar put under house arrest this morning? Agnimitra Paul said that in view of the situation prevailing in the state, army and paramilitary forces should be deployed here.
Significantly, Sukant Majumdar was earlier under house arrest. He was later arrested while on his way to the protest site. 7) TMC MP Sukhendu Shekhar Ray said that the administration has arrested more than 70 people so far. He said that there would be no laxity in this matter. Those who spoil the environment will not be spared. The TMC MP said that Governor Dhankhar and BJP leaders are issuing statements inciting people.